How to lose weight after 50 – It’s time to get fit at 50 and beyond!
Sure, how many times have you made your resolutions? Whispered “I’ll start that tomorrow”,? Promised yourself lavish rewards but only to procrastinate again and again. Procrastination is a sure fire killer to any weight loss success and/or desire for a healthier life-style.
Someone needs you…now. Someone is depending on you …now. Someone is demanding…now.
Something is pressing, something is top priority, something is important. But where do you fit in? When do you say I’m tired of always putting myself last?
Truth is… ignoring healthy life-style changes will only make you less productive, sick more often, tired every moment, and eventually resentful of those who continue to take at the cost of your own physical and mental health.
Any good fitness coach will acknowledge that in stressful or weak moments we sometimes choose to stray from the good health habits. The mantra is to forgive yourself, pick yourself up and get back on track the next meal, the next day. Truth is, yes we all have “moments”, and “occasions” but continued procrastination will do more damage on our health than an occasional brownie or cut of cheesy pizza.
So how do we put PROCRASTINATION behind us?
First, take a few minutes to evaluate what are the roadblocks to beginning…to finally putting procrastination behind us for good. The following are great beginnings to beating that demon procrastination:
- 1. Evaluate where you can cut “busy” clutter out of your schedule.
- 2. Learn to say no to demands that only stress you more (elevating the hormones that signal your body to store abdominal body fat). Yes, stress does make you fat! Do you really want to take on every interoffice problem? Is your mother-in-law inspecting your house for dust on the TV? Will it really matter if the unfolded towels wait 30 more minutes to be folded?
- 3. Go to your calendar….write in time for yourself. 30 minutes every day. Think you can’t squeeze in 30 minutes….then begin with 10, 15 or 20 minutes.
- 4. Start RIGHT NOW….warm up 5 minutes with a simple brisk walk around the house.
- 5. 5 simple exercises that do not require any equipment, gym membership or investment of money.
- 6. #1 Wall Pushups: Facing the wall, position yourself at a 45 degree angle with hands flat on the surface of the free wall. Slowly lower yourself towards the wall and press yourself back to the starting position. Repeat 8 times. (Powers up the shoulder, back and bicep muscles for toned arms in any type of shirt)
- 7. #2 Squats: Stand with your feet aligned with your hips as if you were going to sit down in a chair. Keep your knees slightly bent and slowly lower yourself to a seated position. Slowly return to a standing position. Repeat 8 times. (Simple, but truly effective as the quad muscles burn lots of calories!)
- 8. #3 Dips: Sit on the floor. Knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your hands slightly behind your body. Slowly lower yourself and return to starting position. Keep your elbow close to your body to avoid any strain to the shoulder. Repeat 8 times. ) This works the back of the arms; firming up soft, mushy, fly-away “old lady arms.”
- 9. REPEAT THE ABOVE 2 TIMES FOR THE NOVICE, AND 3 TIMES FOR BEGINNERS .
- 10. Cool down with a 3 minutes for a stretch….and your procrastination cycle has just ENDED!!
Check out my blog again tomorrow for more ways to beat the procrastination demon and begin your journey to a healthier life-style, specifically geared towards those wishing to losing weight over 50.
DAY 2- Beating Procrastination – Beating The Fat!
So you wake up with sore, achy muscles. SORE isn’t exactly the word that comes to mind as you limp along to work the next day. Stairs are difficult, lifting your arms to dry your hair….simple yet agonizing after a good workout day. In many cases, muscles you never knew you had! It’s a great time to delay day two of your new workout.
Face it, fact is you need wake up those muscles that have been dormant for way too long. Trust me with a little boost in nutrition you can help ease the muscle discomfort.
During your workout the muscles produce a waste byproduct known as lactic acid. Lactic acid contributes to the “burn” and soreness you feel days after your workouts. Research indicates that nutrients can aid in the recovery of the muscle cells avoiding an overproduction of lactic acid and extreme muscle fatigue and soreness.
Foods and nutrients that fight lactic acid buildup include:
Magnesium: Food rich in magnesium include dark leafy greens, legumes and nuts (rich in protein also needed for muscle recovery), and whole, unrefined grains. A little secret….. try using a topical application of magnesium chloride spray pre-workout. Sprayed on typically sore muscle areas such as the thighs and calves will also aid in alleviating or preventing the soreness associated with lactic acid buildup. This works wonders in restoring adequate magnesium as this mineral is depleted as the body responds to external and internal stress.
Protein: Foods rich in protein also aid the body’s ability to fight fatigue and muscle soreness. Again nuts (walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts), legumes and lean protein including organic beef, chicken, turkey and fish.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Enter the awesome power of essential dietary fats called omega 3’s. Found in wild-caught salmon, flax seed, walnuts, and hemp seed. Omega-3’s are a powerhouse of nutrients that aid in reducing inflammation and decreasing the lactic acid buildup. “Side effects “include burning abdominal fat cells, lubricating joints, increasing good HDL cholesterol and alleviating dry skin. Nutritional supplement sources include omega-3 fish oil soft gels and krill-omega 3 soft gels.
So now you have the inside “skinny” on a few simple ways to decrease or eliminate sore muscles and start losing weight after 40—get going on your day 2 post-procrastination workout! And don’t forget your water intake!!!